Important Changes to Fuel Tax Credits
If you claim fuel tax credits, multiple rates may apply to your business activity statement (BAS) that is due in October, depending on when you acquired the fuel.
Changes to fuel tax credits occurred on 30 March, 1 July (biodiesel only),1 August, and 29 September 2022. Fuel tax credit rates change regularly.
The easiest way to ensure you are using the correct rate is to use the Fuel tax credit calculator.
The temporary reduction of fuel excise duty ended on 28 September. From 29 September 2022:
- increased fuel tax credit rates apply. You must only apply this increased rate to fuel acquired from this date
- if you’re an eligible business that uses fuel in heavy vehicles for travelling on public roads, you can claim fuel tax credits. You cannot claim between 30 March to 28 September 2022 because the road user charge exceeds the excise duty paid and this reduces the fuel tax credit rate to nil.
Remember to always keep accurate records to support your claims. Your fuel tax credit records need to show the type, date, and quantity of fuel acquired for business activities.
Your registered tax or BAS agent can help correctly calculate your fuel tax credit and lodge your BAS.
Welcome to Accountplan, proudly assisting the community in Redcliffe and surrounds for almost 40yrs with:
– an experienced team of Accountants providing Tax & Business Advisory services
– Bookkeepers to help you with BAS, IAS & Payroll
– Financial Planning advice around Wealth Creation, Super & Aged Care Strategies
– Mortgage Broking services for Home Loans, Investment Loans, Business and even Vehicle Finance
While you’re here why not check out our site and see what we might be able to help you with…………