Your Guide For Claiming Business Expenses
You can claim tax deductions for expenses you incur while running your business if they’re directly related to earning business income (also known as assessable income).
Take Rubi for example. Rubi is a sole trader who works as an IT consultant. As part of her work, she travels to deliver seminars and workshops.
Rubi follows the 3 golden rules for claiming a tax deduction when she travels for business purposes.
- The expense must be for her business, not for private use.
- If the expense is for a mix of business and private use, she can only claim the portion that is used for her business.
- She must have the records to prove it.
Rubi uses the myDeductions tool to store receipts of all her airfares, accommodation, public transport costs, ride-sharing fares, car hire fees and other costs such as fuel, tolls and car parking. She also records her meal costs if she’s away overnight.
Rubi also keeps a travel diary to note which expenses were for business purposes and which expenses were private, such as sight-seeing. The cost of her recent tour of the Tower of London is not included in her deductions. There are some expenses Rubi can’t claim, such as entertainment, traffic fines, and expenses related to earning non-assessable income.
As an employer, Rubi meets her superannuation and employer obligations by reporting her employees’ salaries or wages and paying any tax withheld amounts on time. This allows her to deduct the salaries, wages and super contributions she’s paid during the year.
By the time Rubi is ready to lodge her tax return, her tax agent has everything they need to verify her deductions.
Be like Rubi and perfect your record keeping to correctly claim your business expenses and make tax time easier.
To check your record keeping skills, you can use the ATO’s record keeping evaluation tool.
Remember, registered tax agents can help you with your tax and super.
Welcome to Accountplan, proudly assisting the community in Redcliffe and surrounds for almost 40yrs with:
– an experienced team of Accountants providing Tax & Business Advisory services
– Bookkeepers to help you with BAS, IAS & Payroll
– Financial Planning advice around Wealth Creation, Super & Aged Care Strategies
– Mortgage Broking services for Home Loans, Investment Loans, Business and even Vehicle Finance
While you’re here why not check out our site and see what we might be able to help you with…………